Sunday, August 15, 2010

Hayley's Birthday Cake ~ The First of Two Little Mermaid Themed Cakes


It is really hard to believe that Hayley has turned 4. It seems like just yesterday we were bringing her home from the hospital! But, it is not hard to believe that she chose to have a birthday cake with a Disney princess theme. All four of her birthdays have been themed the same. For her first birthday, she had all the princesses, for her second birthday, it was Ariel, for her third birthday, it was Sleeping Beauty and this year was Little Mermaid again. For birthdays around here, I always have two celebrations. One on the actual birthday with just the five of us and then one on the following weekend which we share with grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and friends. It makes a lot of work to make two separate cakes, but it is worth every bit of effort!

For Hayley's actual birthday, she chose to have an Ariel cake. Luckily, I already had the Wilton Ariel Cake Pan from last time and all the Disney Princess and Little Mermaid Wilton colors for the frosting. The best thing this year when making this cake is that my daughter helped decorate it, as well as my husband. It was so fun with all of us doing something together . . . maybe my daughter will be the next Cake Boss! ;-)

Hayley chose to have yellow cake this time around and after frosting the cake, we added the candy seashells (you can see my previous post about making the seashells)around the edge. Of course, as we went to add the "4" candle to the cake, I had to convince Hayley that on Ariel's left eye was probably not the best spot and luckily, since I hadn't taken any pictures yet, I was able to convince her that in the hair would be better!

Here are some links to the items I used to make the cake:
Ariel Cake Pan (by Wilton)
Disney Princess Icing Colors (by Wilton)
Little Mermaid Icing Colors (by Wilton)

No comments:

Post a Comment