Monday, January 21, 2013

Glass Etching Tips Using Your Cricut

Wine glasses I etched with a princess theme
My newest craft obsession (yes, obsession) is glass etching.  I had the materials for months to test this project out but never dared hop into it.  Well, I finally one day just did it, and in all honesty, I cannot believe how great it looks and how easy it is!  I have etched glasses, vases, plates and well, you get the point.  Anything glass around this house, I have etched.  They make great gifts at very reasonable costs.

In order to etch glass, you will need a few materials:



  • Armour Etch: This is the glass etching cream that I use.  The initial investment in this is expensive, but I have found it is well worth it.  I was able to purchase mine with a 50% off coupon from Michael's, though I am sure any craft store near you will have similar deals available.
  • Self Adhesive Vinyl or Contact Paper: Most tutorials I have watched call for vinyl.  But have found that contact paper (adhesive shelf liner) works just as well at a much cheaper cost
  • Small paintbrush or foam brush to spread the etching cream on your project
  • Stencil: All images I use, I cut from my Cricut machine, but you can also use a stencil and exacto knife (or free hand cuts with an exacto knife) to create the image you want etched on your project
  • Gloves: You will want to wear gloves when using the etching cream

A Vase we had here at the house
that I etched

Directions:
  1. Clean and dry the glass object you plan to etch.  
  2. Cut the image you plan to use on the contact paper to create your stencil (either with a Cricut machine, free hand it with an exacto knife, etc.)
  3. Adhere the stencil onto your glass object.  If the side of your item are rounded, it make take a little time to be sure all points are flat against the glass. 
  4. Using the brush, cover your stencil with glass etching cream, being sure to cover all areas equally.  I probably use more than I need, but I want to be sure that I cover it completely.
  5. Let cream sit for recommended time.  I generally leave mine for 15 minutes, even though the directions say less than that.
  6. Using your brush, scrape off excess cream and add it back to the jar (this isn't required, but with the cost of Armour Etch, I reuse what I can!). 
  7. Rinse cream off and peel of the stencil.
  8. Wash your glass item completely being sure to remove all cream.
So that is how I have created some amazing gifts for my family for the holidays.  Even better, our local Dollar Tree has a wide selection of glass items to choose from including wine glasses (all sizes and shapes), pint glasses, coffee mugs, plates, bowls and more.  I have not tried this yet, but I have seen people use this same method to etch mirrors.

One last quick tip, when first starting out, begin with simple images, such as silhouettes.  Once you have the hang of the process, then move onto more intricate images.

There are so many tutorials on You Tube that it is hard to recommend just one, but here is the first one I saw from one of my favorite scrappers - My Pink Stamper.  Also, if you are looking for more glass etching ideas, I have started a "Glass Etching with Cricut" board over on Pinterest.  Anytime I find something new, I add it there.  Some people have created some amazing items that have given me plenty of inspiration to get etching!  

Have you tried glass etching yet?  What is your best tip for creating great projects?

2 comments:

  1. This is amazing, I'm definitely going to give it a go xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so easy! It takes some practice getting the vinyl flat and even, but other than that, I have made some great gifts for my friends and family!

    ReplyDelete