Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Candy Seashells and Starfish


Today's project is not new to me, but it is my project for the day. Last week I created some candy seashells and starfish for Hayley's Little Mermaid cake for her upcoming birthday. I thought I was getting ahead by getting a few of the edible decorations done, but unfortunately, the kids and I have tasted several of them to make sure they were still fresh (ok, they were fresh, we really just wanted to eat them!), and as a result, I needed to make a new batch because there just weren't enough left.

Candy making is one of my favorite things to do. For these seashells and starfish, I used Wilton's "Seashells" candy mold, Wilton white candy melts and Wilton pink candy melts. First I melted the pink candy in the microwave. There are other methods, but this one seems to work the best for me. Then, I did the same with the white candy melts. While the white candy melts were in the process of melting, I used the plain pink to fill the starfish shapes. When the white candy melts were done, I placed 3 or 4 drops of the pink into the white. I then used a knife to cut the pink in without stirring. This will give the shells a marbled look. I then filled the remaining seashell shapes, and let them set in the refrigerator until hardened.

These are great decorations for a Little Mermaid cake. Plus, my cake decorating skills are not the best, so these shells can help hide any of my frosting imperfections. Just a side note, I used the pink to marble the shells because it is for my daughter's birthday, but I have also used orange or brown to create just as nice of a look when I have brought them to parties and family gatherings.

Here are links to the items I used to create these candies:
Wilton Candy Mold: Seashells
Wilton Candy Melts

No comments:

Post a Comment