Tuesday, January 18, 2011

My Biggest Endeavor Yet

Four and a half years ago, my husband and I made a decision.  We were living in Massachusetts, both had great jobs, my son was 14 months old and I was pregnant for our second child.  We decided that since we were having children, it was time to move home, we were both from New Hampshire, and raise our children near family.   My husband was able to transfer within his company to a place in New Hampshire and I made a very emotional decision to give up my job as a third grade teacher.  Because I had such a strong resume, we figured I would have no problem finding a job in the area I grew up in.  We both agreed that this decision was best for our children, and to this day I don't regret it because the time my children have spent with my parents, aunts, uncles and cousins has been amazing and the bonds they have now since moving here are so much better than had we stayed in Massachusetts.  But since it has been four full school years since I last taught, I have come to realization that it is time to give up on my love of teaching.  I have applied for so many jobs here and every single one of them has been given to a first or second year teacher.  Basically, the economy has determined who schools can afford to hire.  With my MEd and my years of experience, I am much too high on the pay scale.

I will admit that I am really sad about this.  Teaching was something that I absolutely have a passion for.  I loved my job and couldn't wait to get to work every day, ok, well maybe not everyday, but almost everyday.  I loved working with the kids, parents, new teachers.  I felt like someone who found a job they were good at and loved.  But the reality is I keep hanging on to this idea I will teach again and it is actually keeping me from investing my time into other things.  So today, I am moving on from teaching and saving those skills for my children and beginning an all new adventure, which is the reason you have not seen any updates here for a while, though you will soon!

Besides my passion for teaching, there is one other thing I invest a lot of time into - my love of Disney.  As you may know, I already have a Disney blog called Pursuing the Magic.  One day as I was reading through some of my favorite Disney blogs, I thought there had to be an easier way for me to get from one blog to the next.  Then it hit me, I read all these craft blog hops, why not create a Disney one?  As a result, I put together some great Disney bloggers and created The Magical Blogorail.  It has been so great connecting with so many other bloggers.  We have all come together to share our love of Disney.  I would love for you to check it out.  This one little idea has grown into a group of writers, a website, Facebook page, Twitter account and several e-mails a day of people wanting to be a part of it.

So even though this home blog has been temporarily neglected, I will be back soon so that I can keep up with my New Year's resolution of creating one 2-page Disney scrapbook layout per week.  I actually worked on my week #3 one today and hope to post it tomorrow.

Thank you to all of you who are following me and keeping up with my daily endeavors!

No comments:

Post a Comment