Monday, November 15, 2010

Movie Monday ~ How the Grinch Stole Christmas

How the Grinch Stole Christmas is by far one of my most favorite Christmas classics.  I remember watching it when I was younger and now even my children love it.  It has been around since 1966, which would show you why it is a classic.  As it approaches its 44th birthday, I am sure it will be yet again a favorite amongst many households this Christmas season.  Even to prove its longevity, every year, Hallmark offers a Grinch ornament.  I have many of them and just love them.  They represent several scenes from the movie, and each July, during the Hallmark ornament premiere, I always seek out the new Grinch ornament. 

There is no better Christmas story than that of someone finding the true meaning of Christmas.  The Grinch tries to keep Christmas from coming by stealing all the decorations, food and gifts in Whoville because he hates the noise that time of year brings.  But when the Whos wake up Christmas morning, they are not the least daunted to see that all material traces of Christmas have disappeared.  They come together singing and enjoying what the true meaning of Christmas is.  As the Grinch sees this, he realizes the true meaning of Christmas himself and returns the Whos Christmas items and joins them for dinner. 

My children (and so do I) love the soundtrack for this movie.  Emily, my two year old, sings along with songs, even though she doesn't know many of the words.  Hayley, my four year old, dances to each of the songs.  I'd like to say my son sings and dances, but not so much, though I know he likes the music!

This year I decided the theme of our Trim A Tree Day will the based on this movie.  I have been able to find so many Grinch games, puzzles and stuffed animals.  If you are looking for a hardcover copy of the book, as well as a stuffed Grinch and stuffed Max, they are selling for $5 each as part of Kohl's Cares: Committed to Kids' Health and Education.  We already have a Grinch, but I did pick up Max, reindeer antler and all, for the kids this year. 

If you are looking for more information about this movie, the film or the musical, make sure you check out Wikipedia's site: How the Grinch Stole Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment